Sunday, February 12, 2012

Run for Sherry Day

Yesterday was the Run for Sherry and run I did.  It was a blissful (?) minus one when I got ready to run with a zillion mile wind chill.  Thankfully, it's nice and toasty in the basement where the treadmill hangs out!  I donned on my running skirt, filled up my water bottle and hit the "mill."

Obviously, I like to run in the middle of the night?
My running coach had me down for a long run.  I thought last week was a long run.  I was wrong.  She had me down for fourteen miles.  I expressed my concerns with running fourteen miles.  Mostly because my mind thinks that just stupid and totally unnecessary.  It revolted at 13 last week.   As all good running coaches do, she played the nasty card and told me to think about Sherry that last mile and yes, I'll be able to do it.  That's just plain mean.

I chose not to wear my Running for Sherry bib, but rather, put it on my treadmill where I could actually see it.  I ran the first hour in silence in honor of her.  Well, as silent as my treadmill is and as silent as I am when I'm huffing and puffing away.  I ran because she cannot.  I ran because she is still thought of.  I ran because she touched lives.  I ran because people still love her.  


After a hour, my mind was done thinking and I turned on the tv.  I got sucked into watching that Karate Kid movie with Will Smith's kid.  It was um, "different." (that's used in Minnesota context-Minneotians will totally get it)   Not really a fan of the movie-it's hard to like remakes when you're old enough to remember the original.  Still, there were good lessons to be learned.  Especially about how to treat people and how you choose kindness and goodness over being unkind.  Good trumping evil.  I watched until I got to mile fourteen.  Well, actually until I got to mile fourteen and then did a cool down.  

Proof!

The afternoon consisted of a little lunch and loads of laundry ('cause my life is super glamorous that way)  and then we were off to hang out at a local mexican restaurant with some friends.  It was an awesome time and I'm reminded how blessed we are to have such great people in our lives.  I think Sherry would have approved.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Let's face it, you rock!