Saturday, February 4, 2012

I Can Get The Sticker Now....

Because the Princess Half Marathon is a measly nineteen days and four hours away, I had another long run today.

My running coach wanted me to do thirteen miles.  Uuugh.  Thirteen miles?  Isn't that unlucky or something?  Do people that have a fear of the number thirteen even run half marathons?  It's called triskaidekaphobia by the way-the fear of the number 13, not the fear of running half marathons. Or is it the .1 that makes it ok for them?   Is it a coincidence that buildings don't have a thirteenth floor?  I wondered if I should run with a four leafed clover in my pocket or a rabbits foot around my neck.

Here's the real problem.  I'm not afraid of thirteen.  I love baker's dozens (can we say carbs?).  What a great idea.  The problem was that I wasn't in the mood to run.  This has been happening a lot lately.  I mentally whine for exactly four miles when I run these days.  I panic the next two.  I think about turning around at every other footstep.  I'm really not enjoying my running right now.  If I could, I'd put away my running shoes (novel idea-to actually put my shoes away-ever) and not run until I felt like running rather than when I should be running.  Call it burn out.  Call it the distraction of something shiny. (what? where?)  Call it lack of dedication.  I don't care what you call it, I sucked it up and ran my thirteen miles today even though I didn't mentally want to.  Actually I did 13.1.  Because I can.  Even if I don't want to.


 Now I think I can get the official sticker magnet thingy and outfit out my car-running style.   I won't mention that for years when I saw stickers on cars that were 13.1 or 26.2 I thought it was some kind of Bible verse reference.  I just couldn't figured out what chapter they were referring to!

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Let's face it, you rock!